Making any changes to the approved research will require a modification that must be reviewed and approved by the IRB before the changes go into effect.
Important! Updating the SmartForm does not send the submission for review. The PI or PI Proxy must click Submit (marked with a red arrow in the submission workspace) for the submission to proceed on for the next state of review.
To create and submit a Modification on an approved project to the IRB:
1. Log in to irb.harvard.edu
2. Navigate to an approved study workspace (see Accessing a Submission for more information).
3. Click the “Modify Study” button.
4. Select “Modification/Update”
5. Select one or both types of modification on the first page of the SmartForm. Note: ESTR will only allow one ‘Study team member information’ and one ‘Other parts of the study’ modification to be open at a time.
- Selecting “Study team member information” allows for update to the study team members listed on the study or study team member related documents (such as human subjects training certificates or Financial Conflict of Interest forms)
Selecting “Other parts of the study” allows for revision to:
- Change the Principal Investigator, the protocol or any Basic Information
- Funding for the study
- Study Scope and related elements such as additional study locations, or the study of drugs or devices
- Consent, recruitment materials, study instruments/tools and any other non-personnel study documents.
6. By selecting ‘Continue’ the system will guide you through some questions about the requested change, and take you to a copy of the SmartForm. Refer to the What to include in the SmartForm section for additional instructions for what is required for each element of the study SmartForm.
7. Follow the remaining steps to Edit a Submission
8. The PI or PI Proxy must click Submit (marked with a red arrow in the submission workspace) for the submission to proceed on to the IRB for review.